Picture this: it’s a beautiful fall Saturday. The sun is shining, the “O-H…I-O!” chants are ringing out across University District bars and yards. Kegs are being tapped and drinks are being poured. Game day is in full force.
A responsibly enjoyed Saturday game day can quickly take a bad turn when tailgating gets out of hand. Its not uncommon that many fans end their game days early with violations stemming from their celebrations including disorderly conduct, driving under the influence, underage drinking and possession of a fake ID.
Many of these violations come with the risk of heavy fines, jail time, and other penalties including the suspension of driving privileges. Further, if you are a university student, you could face other sanctions from the university you attend.
Follow these simple tips to avoid a loss of your own on game day:
- Be aware of open container laws. In Columbus, you cannot be in public places, such as sidewalks, with an open container.
- Utilize ride-share apps like Lyft or designate a sober driver to stay out of the driver’s seat.
- Don’t provide alcohol to people under 21! It is against the law.
- If you are underage, heed the age limits on bars and only visit those that allow individuals 18 and up to enter.
- If you start your tailgating early, be sure to take breaks and pace yourself so you remain in control.
If you wake up Sunday morning to find you weren’t the best fan in the land on Saturday, Lardiere McNair can help. Call our offices at 614.534.1355 to schedule a free consultation with one of our attorneys.
Victoria Smith is a Law Clerk at Lardiere McNair, LLC. To read more about our firm, please visit www.lmcounsel.com.
The information presented here has been prepared by Lardiere McNair for promotional and informational purposes only and should not be considered legal advice. This information is not intended to provide, and receipt of it does not constitute, legal advice. Nor does the receipt of this material create an attorney/client relationship. An attorney client relationship is not established until such time as Lardiere McNair enters in to a written engagement agreement with a specific client for a specific legal matter.
LEGAL NOTICE: THIS MESSAGE IS AN ADVERTISEMENT AND SOLICITATION. TO OPT OUT OF FUTURE MESSAGES, PLEASE REPLY TO: [email protected] WITH “UNSUBSCRIBE” OR SEND REGULAR MAIL TO:
LARDIERE MCNAIR, LLC
3956 BROWN PARK DRIVE, SUITE B
HILLIARD, OH 43026